Events and people in over 260,000 days of history
Michelangelo's Pietà, formerly in Francesco Bandini's villa in Rome, is moved from San Lorenzo to the cathedral.
Father Leonardo Ximenes, a Jesuit priest, restores the gnomon erected on the lantern on the dome in the mid-15th century.
The guilds, including the Arte della Lana which had been responsible until then for the Opera del Duomo, are suppressed.
The Opera di San Giovanni, which is responsible for the conservation of the baptistry, is merged with the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore.
By order of Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, all of the manuscripts and incunabula from the former library of Santa Maria del Fiore (which had been stored in the Opera's residence since 1680) and the most valuable liturgical books from the sacristy (apart from those still in use) are transferred to the Biblioteca Mediceo-Laurenziana, where they form the Edili Collection. The incunabula are moved again in 1783, this time to the Biblioteca Magliabechiana.