Events and people in over 260,000 days of history
Lorenzo Ghiberti makes a stained-glass window depicting the Assumption of the Virgin for the central rose window on the façade of the cathedral.
Niccolò di Piero Lamberti, Donatello and Nanni di Banco work on the sculptural decoration of the Porta della Mandorla.
Nanni di Banco, Donatello, Niccolò di Piero Lamberti and Bernardo Ciuffagni carve statues of the Evangelists for the façade of the cathedral.
A decree issued by the Signoria obliges people to call the cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore, outlawing the former name of Santa Reparata.
Lorenzo Ghiberti, with the assistance of Niccolò di Piero, produces stained-glass windows for the two smaller rose windows on the façade of the cathedral.
Nanni di Banco completes the decoration of the Porta della Mandorla by carving a relief of the Assumption of the Virgin for the tympanum.
Donatello and Nanni di Bartolo, known as Il Rosso (The Red) carve eight statues of the prophets and patriarchs for the north and east sides of the bell tower's third level. The statues for the north side are moved to the west side in 1464.
The Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore runs a competition for the construction of the cathedral dome.
Filippo Brunelleschi, the winner of the competition for the dome, opens the construction site.
The fifteen stained-glass windows for the tribunes and the fifteen stained-glass windows for the chapels are made to designs by Ghiberti and others.
Luca della Robbia makes the cathedral's first choir loft.
Lorenzo Ghiberti makes the Shrine of St. Zenobius to house the saint's relics.
Filippo Brunelleschi is commissioned to build the Opera's new residence in the area behind the cathedral.
Matteo da Prato builds the organ for Luca della Robbia's choir loft.
Donatello makes the cathedral's second choir loft.
The eight circular stained-glass windows in the drum are made to designs by Donatello, Ghiberti, Paolo Uccello and Andrea del Castagno.
Pope Eugene IV consecrates the catheral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
The dome is completed and sealed.
Paolo Uccello paints a fresco depicting the equestrian monument of Sir John Hawkwood.
Brunelleschi's design for the latern is approved.
The side walls of the Sacristy of the Masses are panelled in marquetry by Agnolo di Lazzero, Antonio Manetti and their respective assistants.
Luca della Robbia produces five hexagonal panels for the lower level of the north side of the bell tower.
The Council of Florence for the union of the Orthodox and Catholic Churches is solemnly inaugurated in the cathedral.
The body of St. Zenobius is translated to the underground chapel situated beneath the middle chapel of the central tribune in the cathedral.
Leon Battista Alberti organises a "certame coronario", or poetry contest, on the theme of friendship in the vulgar tongue – i.e. spoken Italian as opposed to Latin – in the cathedral.
The Commune of Florence gives the Opera the right to use the forest of Strabatenzoli e Ridracoli on the Appennines separating Tuscany from Romagna, a former demesne of the Lords of Valbona and subsequently owned by the Conti Guidi di Battifolle.
Paolo Uccello frescoes a Clock on the cathedral's inner façade.
The first marble parts are laid for the lantern on the dome.
Filippo Brunelleschi dies and is buried in the cathedral.
Michelozzo is elected to the post of master of the works for the dome in Brunelleschi's stead.
The public library of Santa Maria del Fiore opens in the former church of San Pietro in Celoro.
Antonio Manetti is elected to the post of master of the works for the dome.
Andrea del Castagno paints a fresco depicting the equestrian monument of Niccolò da Tolentino.
The lantern on the dome is completed under the supervision of Antonio Manetti.
Giuliano da Maiano and his workshop make the marquetry panels for the front and back walls of the Sacristy of the Masses and the wooden frieze running above the marquetry panels on all four walls.
Andrea del Verrocchio casts the gilded bronze ball that is placed on top of the lantern on the dome. December 1474: The bronze door begun in 1445 by Luca della Robbia, Michelozzo and Maso di Bartolomeo is installed in the Sacristy of the Masses.
The bronze door begun in 1445 by Luca della Robbia, Michelozzo and Maso di Bartolomeo is installed in the Sacristy of the Masses.
Paolo del Pozzo Toscanelli installs a gnomon in the cathedral.
The Pazzi Conspiracy comes to a head in the cathedral. Giuliano de' Medici is assassinated during the celebration of Easter Mass while his brother Lorenzo, though wounded, saves his life by seeking shelter in the Sacristy of the Masses.
Lorenzo the Magnificent holds a competition for the cathedral façade, but there are no winners.
The lantern on the dome is seriously damaged by lightning. The event is later interpreted as presaging the death of Lorenzo the Magnificent three days later.