About us

The "Fabbriceria della Cattedrale di Firenze", or Florence Cathedral Works, was founded by the Florentine Republic in 1296 to oversee construction of the cathedral. Tradition has it that the foundation stone of the new cathedral was laid under the watchful gaze of Arnolfo di Cambio on 8 September of that year.

Over seven hundred years after its foundation, the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore, as it is known today, is still actively engaged in preserving and enhancing the monuments comprising the Great Museum of the Duomo: the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore with Brunelleschi's Dome and the crypt of Santa Reparata, the Baptistry of San Giovanni, Giotto's bell tower and the Historical Museum.

Single ticket

A single ticket for one big museum. The ticket admits the holder to all the monuments in the Complex of Santa Maria del Fiore: Brunelleschi's Dome, Giotto's Bell Tower, the Baptistry of San Giovanni, the Crypt of Santa Reparata inside Florence Cathedral, and the Historical Museum.

Home video placeholder

Opera Magazine sets out to illustrate Opera's philosophy and to provide information on the artists and events that have forged its history since 1296: the details, figures and stories behind the monuments and masterpieces in Piazza Duomo.

By order of Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, all of the manuscripts and incunabula from the former library of Santa Maria del Fiore (which had been stored in the Opera's residence since 1680) and the most valuable liturgical books from the sacristy (apart from those still in use) are transferred to the Biblioteca Mediceo-Laurenziana, where they form the Edili Collection. The incunabula are moved again in 1783, this time to the Biblioteca Magliabechiana.
  • Florence
  • Events